Instructions for Applying Online
If you plan to respond to the strongly recommended personal statements on this year’s application, click here
to see the list of statements and instructions.
- Establish your account.
- Enter your account information exactly as instructed on the form.
- Click the Create My Account button.
- Write your user name and password for future reference (when re-entering the system).
- Fill out your application.
You can complete your application in any order and save your work and come back to it later—even from a different computer!
- If your application has more than one page, use the Save and go to page: 2/3/4 button to move to another page.
- To save what you have done so far without exiting, click the Save this page button.
- To save what you have done so far and exit (you will be taken to your Activity Log), click the Finish Session button.
- To re-access your application to continue work on it, return to the application menu, select the application and enter your username and password when prompted.
All of your saves and transmissions are logged in your Activity Log for your review.
- Make corrections to your data.You may see a Data Correction Page when you move from page to page or click Save/Pay/Send.A Data Correction Page appears if you have omitted a required field or entered data incorrectly. Changes you need to make appear in red text. Simply enter the correct data, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the Make the corrections button.
- Save/Pay/Send your application.Check your application carefully. When you are satisfied with it and are ready to send it to us, click Save/Pay/Sendat the bottom of the last page. This saves your data in their final form and takes you to the payment page where you pay your application fee online.Your application is not sent to us until you pay your application fee and it is authorized.
- Pay your application fee online.On the payment page, you can pay your application fee by debit/credit card or check (US bank accounts only).If you are paying by debit or credit card:
- Provide all information, including the complete credit card number, expiration date, and card billing information.
- Click the Submit this information button.
If you are paying by check: see instructions.
Once payment is authorized, your application is on its way to us, and you can no longer make changes to it.
Security Information: Your debit/credit card information is encrypted during transmission from your browser to our server and during payment authorization. None of your debit/credit card information is stored in our database.
- Check your Activity Log to print a copy, save a PDF of your application, or to learn if we have received it.
- Close your browser program when you are ready to end your Web session.This clears your password and secure connection.
- Receive email verifying your application has been submitted from “email@example.com.”
- Receive email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject “Virginia Tech Application Status Page.”This email will contain important information about tracking your application status. Be sure to add “email@example.com” to your address book as you will receive periodic correspondence from this email address.
- Receive email with the subject “Virginia Tech Guest Account Invitation” from “PleaseDoNotReply@vt.edu.”You must click on the link provided in this email and set up a guest account. Learn more by reading our frequently asked questions.
- Please check your email frequently!
Hints for Completing the Online Application
- Select the correct postal code using the “view codes” link for US state and Canadian province names.
- Select the appropriate residence and/or citizenship country code using either the “view codes” link or the Search button (depending on which is on the application you are completing)
- If there is a “view codes” link: Click the link, search for your country code in the window, close the window, and enter the code in the application.
- If there is a Search button: click the button and select your country code from the list. It will be entered automatically in the application.
- Separate digits in telephone numbers with dashes only, no slashes or parentheses.
- Check your application carefully before sending it!
- There are usually other requirements for admission such as having transcripts, test scores, and/or letters of recommendation sent to us. Be sure to fulfill these requirements in addition to submitting your application.
Virginia Tech expects all applicants to apply using the online application unless using an official fee-waiver. Students who will be using a fee-waiver must apply using the paper (PDF) version of the appropriate application, and attach the fee-waiver to it upon submission. (The PDF version can be found on the Forms and Publications page)
Dates and Deadlines
- Apply by: Nov. 1
- Notified on: Dec. 15
- Apply by: Jan. 15
- Notified on: Apr. 1
- Apply by: Feb. 15
- Notified on: May 1
More dates & deadlines
Online Application Info
- The web application server stores the information you enter under the private user name and password you establish. Be sure that you keep your user name and password in a safe location.
- You do not have to complete an application in one sitting. You can start the application, save your information, and access your saved application at a later date.
- When you complete more than one application form, common information you provided on the first form is entered automatically in all subsequent forms. Also, if you change the information on one form, it is changed on all others.
- Your data is transmitted securely over the Internet. The information you enter is encrypted and secure when you save it and when you send it. Any information bearing your personal identification is disclosed only to the department to which you send it.
- When you save or transmit application information, a note appears in your Activity Log. You can easily check your Activity Log at any time to see your application activity and to learn when we have acknowledged receipt of your application.